Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving, pt 3 Why am I Blogging When I Should be Cooking?

Hahaha, sob, sob, sob.

In the last year, I was gifted with a new to me fridge. I had to buy a new blender (0ld one bit the dust and we have few thrift stores here, none with a decent blender). New equipment means changes in cooking times, in freezing and thawing times.

Yep, veteran of countless Turkey dinners is sitting here on Thanksgiving day, thawing a turkey in cold water instead of baking and eating it. Actually, it's a miracle we have a meal at all. It was this Monday, YES, 3 DAYS ago, that I realized, HELLO! It's Thanksgiving - THIS WEEK!!! I had to go get groceries. You know, like: TURKEY, potatoes, celery, onions, cranberry sauce, olives. The stuff that makes the feast a feast. So we get home and it all goes in the fridge. Now with my old fridge, put something frozen in the fridge part - like the turkey and wahlah, in a day, two at tops, it's thawed. Not this bad boy! I got up this morning and grabbed the turkey off the shelf, and it hit me. Thump. Not a gentle, thawed thump. No, a rock-hard, frozen THUMP. Nooooo. Say it isn't so. sigh

But that's one of the fun things about holidays. Nothing goes as planned, so don't get you tinsel in a tangle. Thankfully, I only have the two kids at home and no company coming. Oldest had to work from 7:30am to noon. She finally got home at 1pm. It's now 4:51 and I'm just now getting that bad boy in the oven. Dinner will be at 7:30. A little late, but hey, it'll be done and it will be good.

No comments: