Thursday, December 30, 2010

Darlene's Christmas simmering potpourri

Darlene's Christmas simmering potpourri

6 springs from Christmas tree (Frazer Fir is what I had)
1 orange skin in pieces. I had taken the skins off in about quarters.
1 grapefruit skin. I had taken the skins off in about 6 pieces.
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
1/2 tsp all spice, ground
1/2 ginger, ground
6 whole cloves
1/2 mace, ground
1 Tbs cinnamon, ground
water to nearly fill the pan
Put in large saucepan. Bring to near boil. Turn down, let simmer for as long as you'd like to smell it. Check every hour or so and replenish the water as it evaporates.

This is as free form as you want to make it. Have whole spices instead of ground ones, use them. Conversely, only have ground spices - use those instead. Add the smells that you like. Don't use those spices. Only have dried fruit skins or zest - use that instead.

Just WATCH the water level. I have been using a 2 quart sauce pan and have had to refill the water about every 2-3 hrs. I'm so ADHD that I have to set a time to remember to check the pan!

Next time I make this, I'm going to put the tree sprigs on a paper plate and cover it with another one and use a hammer to beat the pieces to release the oil in them. I think I'll have more of a "Christmas tree" smell if I do.

1 comment:

MyBulletinBoard said...

That "smells" wonderful! You aren't the only one who has to set a timer to remember not to forget.
~Liz